Recent Posts

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Chocolate Caramel Heath Cake

Today Ashley and I made a birthday cake for my mom! The ending result turned out great! However, it was quite the adventure getting there!
First, we set out to make a "tried and tested" chocolate cake! Thinking I was being super productive, I pre-measured all of the ingredients.



BUT I made one minor (that turned out to be MAJOR) mistake! I completely forgot to double the sugar!! Long story short, we had tiny layers that tasted like buttery cocoa powder! =(
Earlier, the dog peed on my foot, then i sliced my finger open trying to open a cardboard box! So today definitely wasn't my day! Needless to say, after i realized the cake mishap was ALL my fault, I was less than pleased! So the only thing left to do was to start all over and hope for success!



And the result....



SUCCESS! After a LONG afternoon of baking, it was finally time to start decorating! We decided to use a caramel icing as the filling, chocolate fudge on the outside, and crushed Heath bars on the sides! We topped it all of with some caramel dipped strawberries with fudge stripes! Here's our masterpiece!




If you would like our recipe (which was absolutely delicious) here it is:


½ stick of butter
2 tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup of milk
1 tbsp of Nutella
2 eggs
¾ cup sugar
1 cup self rising flour

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F
In a skillet, melt butter, cocoa powder, milk, and nutella. Don't try it in he microwave, it doesn’t work!
In a separate bowl, beat eggs until fluffy, 1/4 cup at a time; add in the sugar, beating each time until sugar is dissolved. Let sit 1 minute or so, and beat again until fluffy. Repeat as necessary. this step is very important! the fluffier, the better!
Fold in the sifted flour alternately with the butter/cocoa/milk mixture (make sure its at room temperature before folding it in.)
Pour into 9-inch greased round cake pan. We recommend Baker’s Joy with flour baking spray! It’s the best! My cakes came out stunningly perfect without the flour residue! And the best part.. the spray is fat free, unlike oil sprays!
Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes! Or until the top spring back when lightly touched!

*if making a double layered cake, we would recommend following the directions twice; without doubling the recipe! Our first attempt, we tried doubling and ended up in the trash!


1 comments:

Souther Bell said...

Your mother loves your blog. And, the cake was absolutely perfect and delicious. I am so proud of you!!!

Post a Comment